Here we accumulate ten rules that are necessary to consider buying oak lumber.
- If you are buying European oak, mostly it is 2,9 - 3,1 m in length. In Eastern and South Europe often this length is the only one possible. The exception is Germany. You can find German oak, up to 5-6 m long.
- American oak differs from European. It could have a lighter color. Other differences you will feel working with a specific board.
- All boards usually have end-cracks, even the most premium wood.
- These end-cracks hinder using the full length and width of the board. It is highly necessary to consider when choosing boards.
- Otherwise, you could use only specific beams.
- The most important point is the straightness of the board.
- A Curve board is a key to high costs. The curve could appear in two flatness: horizontal (the board will look like a banana), and vertical (in such a case you can compare a board with a ski.
- But to find an ideal board could be almost impossible. Save your time and patience with the seller, and try to find a compromise item.
- Always keep in mind an additional 20-30% of the board for the waste
- If you have your own workshop, make a place for keeping the rest of the boards. Combine only the rests with similar measurements. If you mix different boards, you could receive a mountain of mess, which you would never use.
The most important!
And keep in mind, that if you do not want to spend your time searching for necessary boadrs, you can always order your measurements through our website.
We will find and format any size you need. Also, we can make it planned so you could save time twice.